When registering for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) conducted by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) in Nigeria, candidates are required to choose their preferred institutions of study. These institutions can be universities, polytechnics, or colleges of education in Nigeria.
In this article, we will discuss the number of schools a candidate can choose in JAMB, the factors to consider when choosing institutions, and how to make the best choices.
Number of Schools a Candidate Can Choose in JAMB
JAMB allows candidates to choose up to four institutions of their choice during registration. Candidates can choose any combination of universities, polytechnics, or colleges of education. It is important to note that the four choices must be from the same category of institutions, i.e., universities, polytechnics, or colleges of education.
Candidates can also choose one or two degree-awarding institutions and one or two non-degree awarding institutions. For instance, a candidate can choose two universities and two polytechnics or one university, one polytechnic, and two colleges of education.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Institutions in JAMB
When choosing institutions in JAMB, candidates should consider several factors to make the best choices. Here are some of the factors to consider:
- Course of Study: Candidates should choose institutions that offer their preferred course of study. It is important to research the institutions and their programs to ensure that they offer the necessary courses.
- Location: Candidates should consider the location of the institutions when making their choices. Factors such as proximity to home, transportation, and accommodation should be considered.
- Admission Requirements: Candidates should consider the admission requirements of the institutions they are interested in. Some institutions have higher admission requirements than others, and candidates must ensure that they meet the requirements before choosing the institution.
- Reputation: The reputation of the institution is also an important factor to consider. Candidates should research the institution’s history, academic performance, and alumni network to determine its reputation.
- Cost: The cost of studying in the institution should also be considered. Candidates should research the tuition fees, accommodation fees, and other expenses associated with studying in the institution.
- Facilities: The facilities available in the institution should also be considered. Candidates should research the institution’s facilities, such as laboratories, libraries, sports facilities, and accommodation to determine their suitability.
How to Choose the Best Institutions in JAMB
To choose the best institutions in JAMB, candidates should follow these steps:
- Research: Candidates should research the institutions and their programs to determine the ones that offer the necessary courses and meet their requirements.
- Prioritize: Candidates should prioritize their choices based on their preferences and suitability. It is important to choose institutions that are most suitable for their academic and personal goals.
- Consult: Candidates should consult with their teachers, guidance counselors, or educational consultants to get advice on their choices.
- Consider Alternatives: Candidates should consider alternative institutions in case their preferred choices do not work out. It is important to have backup options to increase their chances of gaining admission.
- Apply Early: Candidates should apply to their chosen institutions as soon as possible to increase their chances of gaining admission. Early applications also give candidates more time to prepare for the admission process.
In conclusion, JAMB allows candidates to choose up to four institutions of their choice during registration. Candidates must consider several factors when choosing institutions, such as the course of study, location, admission requirements, reputation, cost, and facilities. By researching, prioritizing, consulting, considering alternatives, and applying early, candidates can choose the best institutions for their academic and personal goals.