The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) is responsible for conducting the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) in Nigeria. The UTME is the primary means of gaining admission into Nigerian universities, polytechnics, and colleges of education. Answering the UTME requires adequate preparation and understanding of the examination format. In this article, we will explore how to start answering JAMB.
Understanding JAMB Examination Format
The UTME consists of 180 multiple-choice questions, and candidates are given two hours to answer the questions. The examination is divided into four subjects: English Language, Mathematics, and two other subjects chosen by the candidate. Each subject consists of 40 questions, except for Mathematics, which consists of 50 questions. Each question in the UTME carries equal marks, and there is no negative marking.
How to Start Answering JAMB
Starting the UTME requires a clear understanding of the examination format and a strategic approach to answering the questions. Below are some tips on how to start answering JAMB:
- Read and Understand the Instructions: Before starting the UTME, candidates are required to read and understand the instructions provided by JAMB. The instructions contain important information on how to answer the questions and avoid common mistakes.
- Manage Your Time Effectively: The UTME consists of 180 questions, and candidates are given two hours to answer the questions. Therefore, candidates must manage their time effectively to answer all the questions within the allotted time.
- Start with Your Strongest Subject: Starting with your strongest subject can boost your confidence and help you answer the questions quickly and accurately. This can also help you save time for other subjects.
- Use Elimination Strategy: If you are unsure of the answer to a question, use the elimination strategy to eliminate the obviously wrong options. This can help you narrow down your options and increase your chances of selecting the correct answer.
- Don’t Spend Too Much Time on a Single Question: Spending too much time on a single question can reduce the time you have to answer other questions. If you are unsure of a question, skip it and come back to it later.
- Answer All the Questions: Each question in the UTME carries equal marks, and there is no negative marking. Therefore, candidates are advised to answer all the questions to maximize their chances of getting a high score.
- Check Your Answers: After answering all the questions, candidates are advised to check their answers carefully to avoid any mistakes. It is important to check your answers before submitting your answer sheet.
In conclusion, starting to answer JAMB requires a clear understanding of the examination format and a strategic approach to answering the questions. Candidates are advised to read and understand the instructions provided by JAMB, manage their time effectively, start with their strongest subject, use elimination strategy, avoid spending too much time on a single question, answer all the questions, and check their answers carefully before submitting their answer sheet. By following these tips, candidates can increase their chances of getting a high score in the UTME and gain admission into their desired tertiary institution in Nigeria.