The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) is responsible for conducting entrance examinations for admission into tertiary institutions in Nigeria. The JAMB examination is one of the most important examinations for students seeking admission into higher institutions in Nigeria. One question that is often asked by students is whether their JAMB score can change after the release of results. In this article, we will explore whether a JAMB score can change and the circumstances under which a change may occur.
What is a JAMB Score?
The JAMB score is the aggregate score obtained by a candidate in the JAMB examination. The JAMB examination consists of four subjects: English Language, Mathematics, and two other subjects relevant to the candidate’s proposed course of study. Each subject is scored over 100 marks, making a total of 400 marks. The JAMB score is used by tertiary institutions in Nigeria to rank candidates for admission.
Can a JAMB Score Change?
The short answer is yes, a JAMB score can change. However, it is important to note that a change in JAMB score is rare and only occurs in exceptional circumstances. The JAMB score is generated by a computer-based system, which reduces the chances of errors occurring during the marking process.
Circumstances Under Which a JAMB Score Can Change
- Technical Error: One of the circumstances under which a JAMB score can change is when there is a technical error during the marking process. Technical errors could include a system malfunction or errors in inputting a candidate’s scores. Such errors are usually rare, but if they occur, they can result in a change in a candidate’s JAMB score.
- Review of Scripts: Another circumstance under which a JAMB score can change is when a candidate’s script is reviewed. The JAMB board reserves the right to review a candidate’s script if there is a suspicion of malpractice or any other irregularity during the examination. If a review of a candidate’s script reveals errors in the marking process, the candidate’s score may be adjusted accordingly.
- Upgrade of Results: Some individuals or websites may claim to be able to upgrade JAMB scores for candidates. However, it is important to note that such claims are fraudulent and illegal. JAMB does not allow for any upgrade of results, and any claims of such an upgrade should be ignored.
Steps to Verify a JAMB Score
To verify a JAMB score, candidates can follow these steps:
- Visit the JAMB official website: Candidates can visit the JAMB official website at www.jamb.org.ng to check their results.
- Enter JAMB Registration Number: Candidates will be required to enter their JAMB registration number in the space provided.
- Click on “Check Result”: After entering their registration number, candidates should click on the “Check Result” button to view their scores.
- Print Score: If the score displayed is correct, candidates can proceed to print their JAMB result slip.
What to do if a JAMB Score is Incorrect
If a candidate’s JAMB score is incorrect, they should immediately contact the JAMB office for assistance. Candidates can also visit the JAMB office in person to lodge a complaint. The JAMB office will investigate the matter and take appropriate action to rectify the error.
In conclusion, a JAMB score can change, but only under exceptional circumstances such as technical errors during the marking process or a review of a candidate’s script. Candidates should verify their JAMB scores on the official JAMB website and report any errors to the JAMB office for rectification. It is important to note that any claims of being able to upgrade JAMB scores are fraudulent and illegal. Candidates should avoid falling victim to such scams and focus on preparing for their examinations to achieve their desired scores