The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) is the agency responsible for conducting the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) in Nigeria. The UTME is a prerequisite for admission into tertiary institutions in Nigeria. Many candidates who perform poorly in the UTME may be tempted to seek ways to upgrade their scores. In this article, we will discuss whether it is possible to upgrade a low JAMB score and the implications of doing so.
Can Low JAMB Score be Upgraded?
No, it is not possible to upgrade a low JAMB score. JAMB has made it clear that the UTME scores are final and cannot be changed or upgraded. Any claim of upgrading a JAMB score is fraudulent and illegal.
There are many fraudulent individuals and organizations that claim to have the ability to upgrade JAMB scores for a fee. These claims are false and should be disregarded. JAMB has stated that it does not endorse any form of score upgrading or manipulation and that such claims are a scam.
Implications of Attempting to Upgrade a JAMB Score
Attempting to upgrade a JAMB score has several implications, including:
- Financial Implications: Attempting to upgrade a JAMB score can be costly, as candidates may be required to pay a fee to the individuals or organizations offering the service. This can be a financial burden for candidates and their parents or guardians.
- Legal Implications: Attempting to upgrade a JAMB score is a violation of JAMB’s regulations and is illegal. Candidates who engage in such practices may face legal consequences, including disqualification from taking the UTME and legal action.
- Ethical Implications: Attempting to upgrade a JAMB score is an unethical practice that goes against the principles of fairness and equality in the admission process. It gives the candidate an unfair advantage over other candidates and compromises the integrity of the admission process.
- Administrative Implications: Attempting to upgrade a JAMB score can cause administrative problems for JAMB and the institutions involved. It can lead to the duplication of records, errors in processing, and delays in the admission process.
What to Do If You Have a Low JAMB Score
If you have a low JAMB score, it is important to take corrective measures to improve your chances of admission. Some of the things you can do include:
- Re-sit for the UTME: You can re-sit for the UTME in the next examination cycle to improve your score. This will require adequate preparation and commitment to improve your performance.
- Consider Other Options: You can consider other options such as applying to polytechnics or colleges of education that may have lower cut-off marks.
- Seek Professional Help: You can seek professional help such as tutoring, coaching, or mentoring to improve your performance in the UTME.
In conclusion, it is not possible to upgrade a low JAMB score. Attempting to upgrade a JAMB score is illegal and can have several implications, including financial, legal, ethical, and administrative consequences. Candidates who have a low JAMB score should take corrective measures to improve their chances of admission, such as re-sitting for the UTME, considering other options, or seeking professional help. By doing so, candidates can improve their chances of admission and achieve their academic goals.